25 July 2008

Kalashnikov

I type this post from an office in a research center in the city of Ma'an. Two minutes ago someone got married. Do you know how people celebrate weddings in Ma'an?

By emptying the clip of an AK-47.

In two hours time I will be traveling to within 30 km of the Saudi border to spend the night with a sheikh who studied advanced farming techniques in New Mexico. Do you know how this sheikh welcomes visitors to his home?

By emptying the clip of an AK-47.

I asked our academic director about gun ownership among the Bedu.

"You will not find a Bedouin who does not own a gun."

I asked our academic director about the possibility of seeing the sheikh's guns.

"You will see lots of guns tonight and tomorrow."

If you asked me what would make or break my trip to 30 km from the Saudi border to visit with the sheikh, I would answer you with one condition only:

That I empty the clip of an AK-47.

I haven't asked for anyone to pray for me on my travels to Jordan, but I come to you now, my friends with religious leanings and my friends without them, pray that this one simple request is granted for me as my time in Jordan comes to a close.

That I empty the clip of an AK-47.

Insha' Allah.

1 comments:

mark July 26, 2008 7:40 PM  

Dear God, Let him empty his clip!

The views expressed on this blog are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of any organizations or institutions with which he is otherwise affiliated

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP